6 Answers

Is it better to pay on arrival with cash or debit card ?

Asked by: 20th August 2011

For the first time i planned my own holiday in costa teguise,flight and transfer both payed for,two weeks booked into galeon playa.Is it better to pay on arrival with cash or debit card??


6 Answers

  1. Sam Roberto on Aug 20, 2011

    Debit Card would be the best payment method provided you don’t pay any commision. Most debit cards do incur a charge, consider credit card payment (if you have one), pay it off when you arrive back in the UK, several credit card companies dont hcarge to use your credit card abroad. My whole holiday goes on that and I pay it in full when I arrive back in the UK. If you are paying by debit card, find out what the charge is for payment transactions abroad and what the charge is for withdrawals and weigh up which one is the cheapest.

    Hope this helps

  2. Karen on Aug 20, 2011

    I always pay by credit card and like Sam above pay off in full

  3. Frank on Aug 20, 2011

    I’ve stayed in the Galeon Playa this year. No problem booking with card.

    Whether or not it’s cheaper depends on the charges raised by your card supplier. It will cost you money to get cash anyway so safer by card.

  4. steve on Aug 20, 2011

    I would get travelers cheques and change them at the Indian shop which is around the corner from your hotel. There is no commission, so you do not incur any charges and you will usually get more for your money than by using your cards.

  5. Kitty on Aug 21, 2011

    You will usually get a better exchange rate by using a credit card – providing your card issuer does not make FX charges. I have just received my card bill from when I was out there in July and got rates of 1.14 and 1.15 whereas the cash I took was only 1.08. This was using a post office credit card which does not make any foreign usage charges.

    • david charles hind on Aug 25, 2011

      Hhi kitty,thanks for the info,havnt got a credit card,to dangerous for me to have one lol.Contacted the coop and they charge 2% so will pay with that,Its allways best to notify them when travelling abroad as they can authorise its use regards dave