28 Answers

Driving abroad?

Asked by: 21st November 2014


Was just after some info please, was thinking of hiring a car on next visit to C.T.

Have only got the old paper license, will that do or do I need a photo one as well?

Was also told I could use my passport is that true please? Any advice would be welcome. 



28 Answers

  1. Tom Iles on Nov 21, 2014

    It’s not a problem Sue. I was there just over a week ago and used my paper licence. I can’t see how a passport can be used to prove you can drive.

  2. Steve p on Nov 21, 2014

    if you don’t have a photo licence they most likely ask for your passport as ID but as Tom says your passport does not prove you can drive.

    if your going to hire a car avoid Gold Car

  3. jim dolan on Nov 21, 2014

    Having hired a car on each visit to Lanzarote, I have never been asked to produce my paper licence.
    Always had to produce photo licence, best to email car hire companies and ask prior to booking.

    • Tom Iles on Nov 21, 2014

      Jim. If you don’t have a photo licence you can’t produce it. The two choices appear to be either (1) photo licence alone or (2) paper licence plus passport. I would highly recommend Autoreisen for car hire and no, I’m not on commission.

  4. David myers on Nov 21, 2014

    Produce your old paper license along with your passport for I.D and you wont have any problems

  5. Steve p on Nov 21, 2014

    Like Tom says Autoreisen for car hire, with them there are no hidden extras unlike some of the car hire company’s

    we have used them a few times now and so far each time we have been given a free upgrade

  6. Sue Feetam on Nov 21, 2014

    Cheers everyone,

    Sorry I did mean to say that along with paper license to use passport as i.d….. not to use it for proof of being allowed to drive!

    A few have mentioned Autoreisen car hire, where about’s are they in C.T pls?
    Any other good ones to use?

  7. David myers on Nov 21, 2014

    Autoreisen are based in the airport and as the others have said they are the best

  8. Marian Walker on Nov 21, 2014

    Recommend AutoResin at the airport.

  9. dustymiller on Nov 22, 2014

    another vote here for autoreisen

  10. Sue Feetam on Nov 22, 2014


    Have never driven abroad before so was just hoping to find somewhere in CT to rent a car and to get used to driving on the roads near to where I will be staying. Think it might be a bit
    daunting trying to navigate from the airport as well as trying to get used to driving on the different side of the road!!! I’m a bit of nervous driver when I don’t know where I am going……yeah I know it’s sad but true!! Lol
    Any advice would be appreciated.

    • Tom Iles on Nov 22, 2014

      Sue. I think you are wise to get some practice in CT first. The journey from the airport to CT is daunting enough for seasoned drivers. You first of all join a very fast dual carriageway and then have to join the circunvalacion (the north circular to locals) that runs around Arrecife from the fast lane. The circunvalacion has been in a state of chaos for at least two years while they completely rebuild it. To say the signposting at roundabouts and junctions was lacking would be a kind understatement. However, please don’t let this put you off renting a car as part of the joy of Lanzarote is exploring the out of the way villages and unique landscapes.

      • Steve p on Nov 28, 2014

        Yes there signposting is lacking in places and as for the rebuilding of the circumnavigation
        most like be another 2 years before it finished if not longer.
        driving in Lanzarote is fine apart from lack of signposting in some places and the narrow back streets of Arrecife

  11. jim dolan on Nov 22, 2014

    If you are staying in CT try Pluscar they have quite a few offices, and are quite reasonable rate wise also very good on fuel use, bring the car back with same amount of fuel in as when you take it.

  12. Sue on Nov 22, 2014

    I agree with Jim. I have used Plus Car many times when I only wanted a car for a few days in the middle of my stay and have always found them very good. They have several offices in Costa Teguise, so there’s bound to be one near to your accommodation.

  13. Steve p on Nov 24, 2014

    There are a couple of car rental offices down Av el Jablillo some of the hotels or Apartments have a car rental desk in the lobby or can arrange car hire

  14. david charles hind on Nov 24, 2014

    I would update my paper licence now to photo card, simples !

  15. Steve p on Nov 24, 2014

    David I did read a little while back that from 2015 photo card licences will be mandatory

  16. Steve p on Nov 24, 2014

    Another thing a lot people don’t seem to know is that photo card licences need to be renewed every 10 years now with new photo

  17. Wendy Middleton on Nov 24, 2014

    If I didn’t need to renew my paper licence, I wouldn’t. Like Steve P says, you have to pay to renew every 10 years and get a new photo.

    There was a lot on the news this morning and whilst the DVLA website said the you will only have a photo card (and no paper portion) from next year, the DVLA on the phone said they don’t know when the system will be starting.

    So, if you have a paper one – keep it – and keep your money 🙂

  18. David myers on Nov 24, 2014

    Not sure that I would update an old type license to photo card I feel its just another way of getting money out of you every 10 yrs
    Its like having to renew a passport just done two at a cost of £150

  19. david charles hind on Nov 24, 2014

    What if you lost your paper licence and you were stopped by spanish police,how long would it take to prove you actually had a licence.The photo licences would be on UK computers and easier to find.Thats my point of view !

  20. David myers on Nov 25, 2014

    So a paper licence is not on record in the UK ?

  21. Wendy Middleton on Nov 25, 2014

    David (DCH), I would imagine that you are still in the computer system if you have a paper licence. Surely your name and details can’t be on index cards in little filing drawers 😉

  22. David myers on Nov 25, 2014

    Also the company you have hired the car from would have the details of your licence that’s the main reason you need it.
    No licence no car hire

  23. Paul D on Nov 26, 2014

    Sue… My tip for driving abroad, , and i know this sounds daft , but its the method i use. . is to just basically remember to always keep your passenger in the gutter ! lol . . That way , , you will always be on the right side of the road, , generally !

  24. Sue Feetam on Nov 27, 2014

    Thanks guys for all your advice it’s greatly appreciated.

    Think i’ll just keep to my paper one and take passport in to them for extra proof!

    Is it best to hire a car when in the resort or pre book on line pls?

  25. david charles hind on Nov 28, 2014

    Checked with the local experts,paper licence no problem,enjoy Lanzarote :0)